Saturday, October 10, 2009

Deafnation

My mom and Sam have been taking a sign language class for a couple of weeks now. They have learned all the basic stuff, such as the alphabet, numbers, and greetings. Their teacher, who is deaf and cannot speak, required they go to a deaf event called deafnation. My mom told me that I had to go, even though I thought it would be really boring. We arrived, and saw everyone in the building was talking sign language. The only noises you could hear were the little kids in the bouncy- house screaming and playing. We saw all kinds of things and people like wax hand designs, and tons of booths selling souvenirs with this sign, which means I love you, on each and every souvenir:


There were even mormon missionaries there too! I told my mom I wanted a wax hand design, and she told me I could get one. We were trying to figure out some words in sign language that meant football or baseball, but we couldn't figure it out. We asked the missionaries if they knew how to say football or baseball, and they did. I used their idea, and did a signal for football. The people working at the wax hand stand put my hand in some really cold water, and then dunked my hand in the wax four times. They repeated the process three times. It was the weirdest feeling! They took it off my hand which was very difficult, since my hand was stuck to the wax. They colored it red and blue, and I got a mini football helmet to go with it. Here's how it turned out:
It was pretty interesting to see all the people talking in sign language. Overall, it was a good experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment